Monday, 11 July 2011

A quick & easy T-shirt dress.

I know that it still may be winter here but I do start preparing for summer early. One of our fave things to do in summer is take a Sunday drive to the coast to go swimming, shopping & eat way to much! When doing all of those things, you need an outfit that is comfortable & easy. A t-shirt dress is great as a beach cover up, slip on a belt, bangles & cute sandals & you have a super cute shopping outfit, & of course it is loose & comfy for all that yummy food! It can even go to night time by adding a sexy pair of heels, some beaded necklaces & a handbag. Once you have made one of these dresses, you will want one for every day of summer!! You can also wear them in winter. Put a pair of leggings under, a cardigan & a belt & you have a super cute & comfy winter outfit! This tutorial was going to be a step by step for beginners but due to the fact that my camera broke halfway through, it is suitable for someone with a little bit of experience because the middle steps were lost due to the memory card breaking off inside the camera! If you can sew & attach ribbing then you will have no troubles!!

Now, because it is the middle of winter & my legs have not seen the sun for a few months, I am glad I have my torso mannequin to be the model!
Now, to make this pattern all you need to do is trace around your biggest t shirt or raid your mans cupboard & trace one of his. You can trace straight onto your fabric or onto some calico. I prefer the calico option so that you have the exact pattern to make more, which I know you will want to!!  Lengthen the top onto the pattern to make it into a dress. I made this t shirt dress out of a nice stretch knit so that it does not require ironing, travels well & can worn from day to night & still look fresh. I chose a navy & white stripe material for that nautical look. I can team it with red, white, blue, silver or gold accessories. I brought 2m of this material & I have enough left to make a top.

OK, so before I go any further, I apologise for my "paint shop" drawings!! I can draw anything with an old fashioned pencil & paper, but with a mouse....not so good!!  Back to the sewing! Follow the dotted lines as in the picture above. Make sure to leave your neck opening larger than your old t shirt neck so that you can wear it slightly off the shoulder for a different look.

 Cut a neck binding by cutting a 2 inch wide strip of material from the leftover material. Fold it in half length ways & sew it on to the neck opening.


Hem the arm openings & the bottom of the dress.

You then have the basic t shirt dress. Now, left by itself it is a great beach cover up.

Team it with a belt & some beaded necklaces......you have an out fit!!


To give it a bit of an edge, wear it slightly off the shoulder......

Once you have made one of these easy to make dresses, you will want one in every colour!!!

22 comments:

  1. I love this!!!!! We love anything simple and fashionable!
    We are having our first link party this coming tuesday and would love for you to come and link up. :)
    www.SewStylishBoutique.blogspot.com
    Your newest followers,
    Heather & Rose

    ReplyDelete
  2. Following with GFC :)
    Thanks for linking up to Bacon Time.
    I am going to feature this dress on Friday morning! Love it. Hope to see you each week at the linky.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Mindie!! I am so excited & will share the feature with my followers! Rose & Heather, I am on my way over!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just love this!! I'm your newest follower :)

    Amanda @ www.thelittlegiggler.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much for linking up!
    We are going to keep this going every Tuesday...
    Everyone is welcome to join in on the fun, so invite your friends.
    :0) Heather & Rose
    www.sewstylishboutique.blogpsot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome Amanda! Hope you enjoy the blog! Rose & Heather, think I might have to stop by every Tuesday with something new!

    ReplyDelete
  7. super cute! i love a stripe and an easy tutorial!

    ~selina

    ReplyDelete
  8. I want one =) did you use a knit fabric for this? It's so cute.

    katy @ redBuddy notes

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very great!!! I'm trying to be brave and do something like this for myself!! You've made it look so simple!!
    Found you at the Homemaker on a Dime linky!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your dress turned out great! I'm so happy you shared it at Etcetorize~

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very cute! I don't have a clue how to bind, but I think I might be able to figure this out!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm featuring this project today on Etcetorize! Come on over and grab a button~

    ReplyDelete
  13. i love this but i'm hog wash at sewing with knits - suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
  14. i love this but i'm hog wash at sewing with knits - suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sew Wat, if you have an overlocker.....make the whole thing with an overlocker. This pattern works so well with a nice soft drapey knit.

    ReplyDelete
  16. looks great! i'll have to add this to my ever growing to do list!

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's amazing the difference a belt makes. Dress it up or down with accessories as you've done. Looks great with the white belt. I love the nautical stripes. I would love for you to share this at my ongoing linky that's exclusively for Women's Dresses. Add as many dresses as you would like...
    http://threadingmyway.blogspot.com/2012/01/threading-your-way-dresses-for-women.html

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love this one, too! You are just too smart for me. LOL I wish I knew how to do these things. =)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love this look! So exciting that summer is upon us and this is the attire! Visiting from Junk in Their Trunk! Pinned :) www.dwellonjoy.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Just a question for you what kind of shirts our they? I was a little confused.

    ReplyDelete

I read each and everyone of your comments. I may not get to respond to them all but just know that I appreciate them and I DO read them all. xx